I am not quite sure why these are called Ginger Snap Cookies, there is no snap. These cookies are super moist and chewy, you know the melt in your mouth kind. I always make these at Christmas, but my family loves them, so we make them several times throughout the year as well. We are doing a baking evening and cookie exchange with Eden’s Girl Guide unit on Monday evening. I think baking 12 dozen cookies in two hours might be pushing it slightly. I think we’ll do a few batches on Sunday and leave a batch or two for the Monday evening baking blitz.
Ginger Snap Cookies
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients and add. Mix.
- Form into small balls and roll in sugar. B
- Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. (Cookies flatten themselves as they bake.)
Let cool and then place in freezer immediately to avoid the potential tummy ache that may result from eating the whole batch fresh out of the oven! No kidding, these have a serious addictive property and may result in weight gain.