My hubby is on holidays right now and was looking for a healthy new soup to try. He found this recipe in our P90X Cookbook. This is only the second recipe we have ever made from the book, but the Island Pork Tenderloin is one of our favourites and this soup proved to be very tastey as well. I think we need to take a serious look at this book because both of the recipes we’ve tried have been both delicious and healthy.
P90X Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Although this recipe came from our P90X recipe book, I found this link for it on food.com. My husband had the soup ready when I got home from work today. He sure knows how to make my day – love that!!
- 2 cups white wine (added about 1/2 cup extra)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 red peppers, roasted
- 2 cups celery
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Optional: Garnish with Parmesan Cheese, Sour Cream and/or chopped Green Onions
- Place peppers on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Give them a half turn and bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove from the oven. Pull and discard the stems. (Don’t worry about removing the seeds.)
- While peppers are baking, chopped the vegetables for the soup.
- Heat wine in large heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, red peppers, and celery. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic. Cook 2 more minutes, adding more wine if necessary.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Puree soup in a food processor. Return to pan, add seasonings, and heat through.
- Garnish as desired.