When it comes to packing my lunch for work, I am pretty lazy. I pretty much have the same thing almost every day. In order for this to work, you have to find something you really like. For me, it is my salad. I’m not saying I don’t occasionally change things up, but I would say I ate this salad about 75% of the days this year. I know that sounds boring, but its very simple to make, healthy and delicious.
My Everyday Salad:
- greens (I use either baby Romaine or Spring Mix)
- 1/2 chopped avocado
- red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 an apple, cored and thinly sliced or 1/2 a pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup or more of raw pumpkin seeds (excellent source of protein)
I make this every morning and it takes me about 4 minutes. I place the ingredients in my salad container in the order listed above. The order is important because the red onion prevents both the avocado and apple from browning. Seal the container.
Lime Agave Vinaigrette:
This dressing recipe is taken from Lyn Genet-Recitas’s book called The Plan. It is one of my very favourite homemade dressings. It is light and “citrusy” and has great flavour. I usually mix up a batch on Mondays (takes me no more than 3 or 4 minutes) and it generally lasts me the week as I only use about 1 1/2 Tablespoons per serving.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup water (I often only add about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 Tablespoon of agave nectar (I always use agave, but I’m sure you could use honey if you don’t have any agave on hand)
- 1 Tablespoon of Herbes de Provence
- Optional: 1 clove of crushed garlic (not optional in my books, I always include the garlic!!)
Combine the ingredients and store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to one week.
I love this salad. I can honestly say that I never get sick of it. It always looks delicious with the purple onion and deep green pumpkins seeds and avocado. This is delicious enough to serve to company and yet simple enough to eat every day. One of my all time favourite recipes.