If you are looking for a new never fail, always delicious soup recipe…..this is it. I originally found this soup recipe on the Kraft Canada website and then adapted it slightly. It is probably our very favourite soup and even a double batch is gobbled up within a couple of days. Super easy and quick to make and a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. of lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 – 540 ml (19 oz) can of black beans, rinsed (original recipe calls for two, but I find one is enough)
- 1 – 540 ml (19 oz) can of Alymer’s Spicy Red Pepper canned tomatoes*
- 1 – 398 ml (14 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix (I use low sodium) *If you don’t have the spicy red pepper tomatoes and are substituting for regular, I’d use hot taco seasoning)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar or Tex Mex cheese
- sour cream
- Optional: nachos
Brown the ground beef with the onions in a large pot. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes. (If I have the time, I will often turn the temperature down to the lowest possible temperature and let the soup simmer for much longer.) Any leftover soup will taste great the next day as well. To serve, add a dollop of sour cream, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, crushed nachos and a squirt of fresh lime juice. (You can serve this however, you like, but the sour cream is the magic ingredient that really takes this soup to the next level. I like to stir it in to give the soup a bit of a creamy taste. Mmmm!) This soup is so yummy and turns out every single time.
*Alymer’s Spicy Red Pepper canned tomatoes is a staple in our pantry. We use it in chili and spaghetti sauce as well as this recipe. It seems to really enhance the flavour of almost any tomato based recipe you are making.