I have to admit that Olive Garden isn’t actually a favourite restaurant of mine. I try to stay away from pasta as much as possible. However, if you’re like me the Olive Garden house salad and potato soup will leave a lasting impression! It took me many years, but I do believe that I have found great copy cats for both recipes. The next time you’re craving soup and salad, this combo is sure to impress. I love the added heat in both recipes….hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
Copy Cat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
I found this recipe several years ago on Tuscan Recipes. I follow the recipe exactly as presented with the exception of using cartoned chicken broth in lieu of the water/bouillon combo. This is mostly because I can be lazy in the kitchen. Sometimes I have my own chicken bone broth on hand and will use it as an alternate as well. Otherwise, I follow it just as it is written. This soup is absolutely delicious and works every single time!
- 1 lb. of ground Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (1 tsp may be enough for you)
- 1 large diced white onion
- 4 T. bacon pieces (or more…you can never have too much bacon)
- 2 tsp. garlic purée
- 10 cups of water and 5 cubes of chicken bouillon (or 10 cups of broth)
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 lb of sliced Russet potatoes (approximately 3 large potatoes)
- 1/4 of a bunch of chopped fresh kale (I I usually add about 2-3 cups)
- Sauté the sausage and pepper flakes in a large soup pot. Drain the fat. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pot, sauté the bacon, onions and garlic.
- Add water/broth and heat to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook about half an hour on low heat.
- Add the cream, sausage and kale. Stir and heat through.
Copy Cat Olive Garden House Salad
I came across this recipe a few years back and make it regularly for my family to enjoy. The recipe was found on Family Fresh Meals and is absolutely delicious!
Famous House Salad Dressing:
1 packet Italian Dressing Mix
3/4 cup oil (vegetable/canola)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Mix all of the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake well…until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour to marinate flavours.
*It can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.
- combination of romaine and iceberg lettuce (or greens of your choice)
- pitted black olives
- 6 mild pepperoncici peppers (found near the pickles)
- 1-2 wedged roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup croutons
- freshly grated Romano and/or Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top of your salad
- thinly sliced red onion
Give this classic Olive Garden soup and salad combo a try and let me know what you think. These are two of my “go to” recipes for sure!