My cousin makes this Bacon Stuffed Jalapeño Popper recipe often and these tasty morsels always disappear quickly. This appetizer is very yummy and surprisingly, they don’t burn the end of your tongue off! I love peppers, but many don’t enjoy hot and spicy foods. When the “guts” of the jalapeños are removed and then grilled/cooked, they aren’t nearly as hot as you might expect. Even my dad enjoys them and he is not one for spicy foods at all. This recipe is super simple and a guaranteed hit!
Bacon Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 6 – 8 jalapeños, sliced lengthwise with ribs and seeds removed (depends on size of the peppers)
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degree. Line your baking sheet with foil and apply cooking spray.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and then soak up the fat using a paper towel. Chop the cooked bacon into very small pieces.
- Give the cream cheese a really good stir to create a smooth consistency. Add the bacon pieces, chopped green onions, and grated cheddar into the cream cheese and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cut the jalapeños in half, lengthwise. (You may want to wear gloves when handling the peppers.) Carefully remove the seeds and ribs with a spoon. Fill each jalapeño half with the cream cheese mixture.
- Place the poppers on your prepared baking sheet. (They can be quite close together.) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling begins to bubble. Serve hot from the oven!
Recipe Variations to Consider:
Kathleeen’s recipe on Gonna Want Seconds is slightly different, but she recommends dipping the stuffed jalapeños into bread crumbs, so that the crumbs stick to the surface of the cream cheese. I’m sure this would give the finished popper a nice crispy texture once baked. Sounds delicious!
Another variation of this recipe is to omit the chopped bacon from the filling mixture and in lieu of that, wrap each stuffed poppers with a slice of raw bacon and then secure it with a wooden toothpick. Depending on size of the bacon slices, you may want to slice the bacon in half lengthwise, so that one slice will actually do 2 poppers. If you choose to do this option, make sure you have enough slices (whole or halved) to wrap all your poppers.
These could also be placed on the BBQ for a great grilled appetizer.
No matter what variation you choose, these are sure to be a hit. Enjoy!
Click here to print the recipe for Bacon Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers in PDF format.