Like most people, I have a set of my favourite “go to recipes” and this delicious Apple Bavarian Torte has been part of my repertoire for about 20 years. I’m not sure where it originated, but I got it from a colleague a few decades ago. It is easy to make, super tasty and visually appealing. A great dessert to serve at any dinner party!
Apple Bavarian Torte
This recipe is a quick and easy dessert that only takes about 20 to 30 minutes to prepare (plus 35 minutes of cooking time). It serves 8 generous pieces, but up to 12 depending on the serving sizes.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- whipping cream or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add the vanilla followed by the flour. Beat until blended. Press the soft dough onto the bottom of an ungreased 9 inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until soft. Add the balance of the “middle layer” ingredients and continue beating until well mixed. Pour over the bottom layer.
- Peel and slice the apples into a large bowl. Sprinkle them with the sugar and cinnamon. Toss to coat. Spoon the apples over the cream cheese layer. .
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 400°; bake 25 minutes more. Sprinkle the almonds over top and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before removing the sides of the pan and slicing the dessert. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 8 to 12 servings
Although this dessert really doesn’t need anything extra, I usually serve it with a dollop of whipping cream. When serving warm, vanilla ice cream is a delicious alternative.