Teen Room Project 2: Ombré Vanity

Eden’s antique dresser and vanity set were purchased through Kijiji several years ago. I don’t remember what they cost, but I think the set was under $75. They were painted plain white in her previous room and would’ve matched perfectly in the new room as well. However, both pieces looked a bit “tired” and in need of a fresh coat of paint. Eden decided to move the dresser into her walk-in closet and bring the shelf from her closet out into her room ~ a switch-a-roo you might say!

I decided not to paint the dresser (for now), but give the vanity a whole new look. I’ve seen many DIY ombré projects and love the look. I thought this would be perfect for the vanity because the white was very hard for her to keep clean and I felt that it needed some colour against the new plain white walls.

I bought a gallon of Benjamin Moore grey paint. It was good quality paint and a really nice light grey. The best part was that it was a mistint and so I picked it up for $15! Can’t beat that! * Always check the mistints ~ you never know what you’ll find and there is such great savings when you find a colour that will work. To create the ombre look, I simply added black paint (that I had on hand) to the grey in varying degrees. You just want to be sure you are making enough to do multiple coats, as needed.

I love the finished look! We picked up a placemat from the dollar store to help preserve the top.

Of course, the stool had to be painted and reupholstered as well. I was so thankful that I had saved this leather seat cushion cover from an old sofa. It was still in good condition and I figured the leather would come in handy some day. (I’m a bit partial to prints, but Eden is not a big fan, so the leather suits her fine and will clean well if she gets make-up on it.) I did get her to agree to a printed fabric for the Roman blinds I will be making for her room ~ can’t wait to add some pattern!



Teen Room Project 1: Shelf

This cheap shelf was purchased at Zeller’s or Walmart years ago. I think it was $15 or $20. It was one of those white melomine units. I upcycled it for Eden’s nursery when I was pregnant. I had added legs to it and it gave the shelf more of a finished look. The legs were in bad shape, so I picked up a package of really nice “chrome” legs from Ikea clearance area for $5.

Shelf from Previous Palette

This is a shot of the back. It was against the wall and was not painted before.

Eden didn’t really like the legs I bought and insisted the shelf sit directly on the floor. Without the legs, it can either stand-up (as is) or lay down horizontally.Updated Shelf

I basically used the old design and taped off the black and white colours that I wanted to keep. I then covered the blue and green with red and grey. (We decided to add grey to the black, white and red colour scheme she’d picked.) I love the new updated look. The coat of grey paint inside really gives it new life!