We had company a few weeks back and decided to try this recipe from Divas Can Cook. I’ve had great success with Monique’s recipes and this was no exception. This is actually super easy to make, but looks like lots of work with the bacon wrapped around it.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders
- 1 lbs. chicken tenders (about 10)
- 10 strips bacon, sliced in half length-wise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder,italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over both sides of the chicken tenders, completely coating them with the spices.
- Wrap two sliced bacon strips around the chicken tender. Tuck in the loose ends. I didn’t worry about putting a toothpick or anything in, once cooked they seemed to stay.
- Mix together brown sugar and chili powder.
- Sprinkle this mixture generously over bacon wrapped chicken, top and bottom. Press the sugar mixture into the chicken to pack it on.
- Place the chicken on a greased grill pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is done and bacon is crisp. You can broil for the last few minutes if desired to crisp up the bacon more.
I think this would be excellent cooked on the barbecue as well. Can’t wait to try it on the grill. I was also thinking that I might like to substitute the Brown Sugar and Chili Powder Mixture for the topping used in the Island Pork Tenderloin Recipe I shared some time ago. In this recipe, you mix the following three ingredients together and then apply in the same way as this recipe suggests. I would love to try this combination in lieu of the original just to see what it’s like. I absolutely love this on pork tenderloin.
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce