Although this shelf has few materials, it is a bit tricky to build and you may need a second set of hands for parts of the project. It is surprisingly sturdy. We have never put too much weight on it, but it has held Shay’s trophies and stacks of books with no problem. The stability comes from the wall, the floor and gravity. Here is a quick tutorial.
- 3 shelf boards
- 6 L brackets and 24 screws
- 2 hockey sticks
- chain and screws
- Cut and paint three boards to your specifications.
- The trickiest part is aligning the sticks and then mounting your boards. To do this, you need to lean your hockey sticks against the wall at a natural angle. Take one shelf at a time and hold it against the side of the hockey stick and back as far as it will go so that it is touching the wall for added support. Hold up the L bracket and mark where the holes on the shelf will need to be as well as where the L bracket will be mounted on the stick. You want to make sure that your shelf will sit level, but your stick will sit at an angle, so it is a bit tricky. You must do each shelf individually, because the shelf closest to the top will have the L bracket closer to the back of the board, while the shelf closer to the floor will have the bracket closer to the front of the board because of the lean of the stick. You can probably do the measuring and figuring on one end/side and then use it as a guide to mount the bracket on the other end of the shelf and the second hockey stick.
- Mount the L brackets on the under sides of the shelves according to where you marked them.
- Mount the brackets (and shelf) to the hockey sticks.
- Use a screw to secure the chain along the side of the shelves near the back of the board. The chain will help to make sure that the shelves will sit and remain level, so be sure to have your shelf against the wall and make adjustments before securing the chain to all three boards.
This project was not expensive, but a little bit finicky. It was worth the effort and the finished shelf looks good and works well. Shay loved it!
Want to learn how the pro’s blog? If you’re interested in earning money from home, it makes sense to learn blogging and internet marketing techniques from the best on the web. If you’d like to receive the same training that’s helped me to launch my blog, you should click to find out how I did it.
2 thoughts on “Hockey Stick Shelf”
Great project Cindy. You do have some good ideas !!!
Pingback: Bedroom Makeover: Part 2 ~ Upcycled Desk and Chair | Cindy Roy